Natural buildings not only bring satisfaction to their makers and joy to their occupants, they also leave the gentlest footprint on the environment. In this complete reference to natural building philosophy, design, and technique, Jacob Deva Racusin and Ace McArleton walk builders through planning and construction, offering step-by-step instructions on:
- siting and site analysis
- choosing materials
- integrating basic structural considerations into a design
- strategies for heating/cooling efficiency and moisture management
- planning for acoustics
- developing an integrative design
- navigating budgeting, code compliance, and project management
- creating the foundation, wall system, roof, and floors
- selecting and making plasters and paints
- evaluating options for mechanical and utility systems
- protecting against fire and insects
- integrating structures within landscape, climate, and human communities
This fully-illustrated volume informs professionals making the transition from conventional building, homeowners embarking on their own construction, or green builders who want comprehensive guidance on natural-building options. A State-of-the-Art Resource for Natural Builders The Natural Building Companion is a part of The Yestermorrow Design/Build Library and and includes an instructional DVD.
Chelsea Green Publishing
416 pages, colour photos and illustrations throughout.