With practical examples of alternative building, renewable energy, holistic forestry, no-till gardening, hospitality management, community outreach, and more
While this book provides a wide spectrum of practical information on the physical systems designed into a community-scale homestead, Trought also reviews the economics and organisational particulars that D Acres has experimented with over the years.
The D Acres model envisions a way to devise a sustainable future by building a localised economy that provides more than seasonal produce, a handful of eggs, and green appliances. With the goal of perennial viability for humanity within their ecosystem, D Acres is attempting an approach to sustainability that encompasses practical, spiritual, and ethical components. In short: They are trying to create a rural community ecology that evolves in perpetuity.
From working with oxen to working with a board of directors, no other book contains such a wealth of innovative ideas and ways to make your farm or homestead not only more sustainable, but more inclusive of, and beneficial to, the larger community. Readers will find information on such subjects as:
- Working with pigs to transform forested landscapes into arable land;
- Designing and building unique, multifunctional farm and community spaces using various techniques and materials;
- Creating and perpetuating diverse revenue streams to keep your farm organisation solvent and resilient;
- Receiving maximum benefits and yields for the farm without denigrating resources or the regional ecology;
- Implementing a fair and effective governance structure;
- Constructing everything from solar dehydrators and cookers to treehouses and ponds; and,
- Connecting and partnering with the larger community beyond the farm.
Emphasising collaboration, cooperation, and mutualism, this book promises to inspire a new generation of growers, builders, educators, artists, and dreamers who are seeking new and practical ways to address today’s problems on a community scale.
Chelsea Green Publishing
Softcover, full-colour photos throughout, 373 pages.